Shamrock Foods? Albuquerque

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by bentstrider83, Jul 5, 2017.

  1. bentstrider83

    bentstrider83 Road Train Member

    1,762
    1,696
    Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    0
    So I chickened out of going here a few weeks ago, but a recruiter still got a hold of me after the fact in regards to a straight up, delivery position out of their Albuquerque facility. I'm still playing around with prospect of having to give up the days-off that I'm accustomed to in exchange for a more stable, paycheck.
    My main questions for anyone driving, or having had driven there are these:

    -How are days off scheduled there?
    -Aside from the physical grind of moving product from the trailer to the customer, how is management overall towards drivers?
    -And of course, how well is equipment taken care of there?

    Any other facts that I haven't asked about, feel free to add those too.
    My shuttling gig here at my current company was going alright. But then they started forcing us to deliver these powdered milk plant runs where we get paid $40/load and spend about 3-4 hours waiting to get unloaded. This versus $70/load to get shuttled/unloaded at the cheese plant where it's only a 1-2 hour wait and much closer to the yard. After starting out here making $1000-$1200/week, these $600-$900/wk checks are feeling kind of dismal. Time to up the game and suck it up in other areas if need be.

    It's either this place or get cracking on this Old Dominion application I just received via an email link for linehaul.
     
    Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Radman

    Radman Road Train Member

    2,111
    2,631
    Apr 18, 2011
    0
    Good company from what I hear. Good pay with good equipment. They started bringing in Petes auto though but nice looking. Also they took over Arby's so there is no shortage of work I'm sure. Small company trying to step up to the big dogs from the way it looks. OD was a raggedy company back in the 2000's look what they have done. Shamrock kinda looks the same way.
     
    bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  4. bentstrider83

    bentstrider83 Road Train Member

    1,762
    1,696
    Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    0
    Hey, there. Yeah, lots of wishy-washiness on my part thanks to my reluctance to abandon the Weds/Thurs off I've become accustomed to. Reality in the money department is slowly starting to hit me though and many hard decisions are being mulled over.
     
  5. Radman

    Radman Road Train Member

    2,111
    2,631
    Apr 18, 2011
    0
    With trucking as you know you can't have your cake and eat it too.
     
    Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. bentstrider83

    bentstrider83 Road Train Member

    1,762
    1,696
    Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    0
    I just thought something like Weds/Thursdays off would be easy to get since "everyone else" seems to prefer actual weekends off. But as I poke around the LTL and foodservice landscape, I'm finding much to my horror that they all operate on the outdated, M-F model. On my off-days, I've developed a rather exciting social life. That goes down the tube, I just feel I'll be back to my mopey old ways despite the money coming in.

    Eh, I'm honestly thinking just pay off my tank of a pickup truck off slowly and perhaps go into a medical related profession. That's about the only other field where you could have nights off in the middle of the week.
     
  7. duckdiver

    duckdiver Road Train Member

    1,062
    877
    Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    0
    You will work split days off at least for a good while(ex: Wednesday and sunday off)

    They have night routes (chain accounts in 49 ft)
    Day routes (you still start around 2:30am) do non chain accounts for the most part.

    Both routes work all major holidays, days get thanksgiving and christmas off. Nights you will work thanksgiving and christmas.

    Equipment is vovlos and Petes, all auto but maintained and newer.

    Pay is good, hourly with ot and double time. Drivers make 80 to 90k plus.

    Can't comment on management in New Mexico since I've never worked out of there. Feel free to pm for more info
     
    bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. LoneCowboy

    LoneCowboy Road Train Member

    1,466
    3,601
    Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    0
    So, Shamrock Albuquerque is run out of Denver. I interviewed with Denver Shamrock chains (they call it systems) Broadline is different. (little trucks).

    So this information is about systems (chains). They just picked up Carl's Jr and Arby's and were ramping them up (honestly just a month or so ago) so are greatly expanding. 48' trailers with liftgates, electric pallet jacks, SxS trailers. BUT, one of the customers want 3 spaces (dry, fridge, freezer) so at least something (probably fridge) is coming out the side, by hand for the first few stops (this was a major ##### with me for MBM, very inefficient, dangerous and slow, defeats the whole point of coming out the back with a pallet) Shamrock works nights, mostly key stops (no one is there) all scanners and you put it in the spot. But no rotating of stock or anything just get it in the freezer.

    New or very new trucks and trailers. Nothing old and beat down (like oh say MBM). Volvo's and Paccar's.

    In Denver they worked 4 days. Monday/tuesday is one set of routes and then you repeat the routes thursday and friday.

    But the guy was very honest, he said they were buried with expansion and he expected that he would need people working 5 and 6 days for at least a year. (this sounds so familiar). Picking up extra shifts, etc. This may or may not apply as a local domicile. They shuttle you the trailers and you just pick up the loaded, paperwork probably in it and go deliver, return empty and go to bed. i bet it's for chains too, cuz there area lot of Carl's Jr in NM. So probably more delivering and less driving. Some areas of Albuquerque are ummm, tough, as you well know. should be a consideration.

    They pay piece work. I never got the specifics. But it's pieces miles and stops. 7 to 9 stops on a trailer. (must be smaller deliveries. MBM was usually 5 to 7 or so). But figure 1300 cases on a trailer.

    Honestly, ti's food service. They seemed to have their stuff together and I seriously considered it (and was offered) but decided not to because it was all nights. And irony of ironies now I"m here running night line haul. Isn't life funny. Pays decent, good equipment but it's food service.

    In Albuquerque, that money would go far, but as with all food service you're going to earn it. I'd talk with them, see if it fits you.
     
    bentstrider83 and duckdiver Thank this.
  9. bentstrider83

    bentstrider83 Road Train Member

    1,762
    1,696
    Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    0
    The four day a week, work-week seems alright with me. Three days off to unwind and do some non-truck, road-tripping is always a good bet. But as you said, the short-handedness is going to make that a no-go for at least year. As far as the ABQ terminal goes, I called the TM there, but no answer yet. I'll probably call the recruiter back and see if I could be put back in the game. Already did a physical and a road test there not too long ago, so we'll see if I could get back on their good side. With the desperation for clean drivers they're touting, it might not be that bad of a stretch.
    As far as dealing with losing my Weds/Thurs nights off, I'll see how long I could cope.
    I just bought a used, 2008 Honda Shadow and it just needs a new title. Use that to irk out aggression during the days off and get some fresh air until I could find my way back to Weds/Thurs nights off.
    I live for my Youtube and Instagram pages.

    That and the Indian River shuttle thing is getting a little iffy. Lots of outbound loads, loaders taking their trailers straight to the cheeseplant dropyard to be dropped as opposed to live unload,. and forced runs to a low-paying, powdered milk facility that takes four hours to live unload(cheeseplant only takes two hours at the most and pays $70/unload).
    The money games are really turning me off after almost two years there.
     
  10. bentstrider83

    bentstrider83 Road Train Member

    1,762
    1,696
    Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    0
    Well, looks like they might be giving me a shuttle run over there. Seems easy enough in order to make the split days off garbage work. Come to think of it, I wonder what one was thinking when they came up with the concept of "split days off". Just another cheap way of saying they need to get more work out of fewer employees or something.
    On another upside, the colleges in Albuquerque seem to have a wider variety of programs. Do my run at night, a class or so during the day, study/sleep, and then get back to work.
    Eventually, I'm going to find my way out of the hustle and bustle.
     
  11. LoneCowboy

    LoneCowboy Road Train Member

    1,466
    3,601
    Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    0
    shuttle run would be sweet. little traffic once you get past santa fe. it's certainly going north probably to meet at Raton/trinidad.
     
    bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.