Reciever damaged reefer trailer, now what?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Apr 16, 2022.

  1. Beaver9

    Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

    966
    1,184
    Jun 15, 2020
    0
    Last night, the receiver damaged my reefer from the inside. It was in the middle of the night. They finished unloading. I closed the empty trailer and left. I was really tired last night.

    There is damage to one wall. There is no hole through. But there is bulge and the crack.
    Hopefully, I'm going to deal with their insurance not mine. I don't want any claims on mine. I have Great West. ####. And I just talked here about the Great West coverage.

    I don't want to lose my customers in the meantime. Shops are closed. Of course, it happens on the Easter weekend. Already, I informed one broker since I know the shipper inspects reefers throughly and write reports on it. I'm about to inform another broker as well.

    I was thinking of doing some patch up myself. But then I stopped myself. Insurance probably can't have someone else do work on it before?
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. H3R3T1C

    H3R3T1C "Question Everything"

    153
    53,569
    Oct 4, 2013
    0
    If you can patch it, patch it. Never use your insurance if you don't have to. If you do, you're going to pay for it many ways not just the fix

    Post pictures, lets see what you got.
     
    Beaver9, Magoo1968 and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  4. ibcalm19

    ibcalm19 Road Train Member

    1,463
    2,435
    Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    0
    The nature of our business. I'm going to through a twist it. Maybe the shipper could have done it. I've been through it before myself. The shipper actually tried to repair it with sheet metal. I'm like when you do damage you have to let the person know not take it upon yourself a do a repair the wrong way :eek::rolleyes::mad:. Hopefully it works out for you.
     
    H3R3T1C Thanks this.
  5. kay_ray

    kay_ray Medium Load Member

    492
    1,236
    Jun 6, 2019
    0
    Receiver is not going to take responsibility. Once you left their property its a done deal . You should've hoped in and checked as you should after every unload . Get it fixed out of pocket it wont cost you more than 500-800$ for a good patchwork . Live and learn
     
  6. GYPSY65

    GYPSY65 Road Train Member

    1,958
    5,267
    Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    0
    I’ve seen several posts about cameras in the trailer
    Couldn’t you just open up. Mount a temporary camera in the corner and let them know you have done so
    Wouldn’t that a) give evidence what happened and b) make them a little more careful?

    I pull flatbed so no idea how that works
     
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

    buddyd157 Road Train Member

    13,582
    34,899
    May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    0
    you think it was the receiver.....it could have been the shipper instead.....did you stay on the loading dock, watching it being loaded at the shipper?

    as someone else said, once you close the doors and leave, it's on you....(done deal)
     
  8. wichris

    wichris Road Train Member

    4,656
    9,726
    Jan 17, 2011
    0
    If it's an insurance claim they will pay for temporary repairs also if it's not usable.
     
    Dino soar Thanks this.
  9. Beaver9

    Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

    966
    1,184
    Jun 15, 2020
    0
    I won't be posting pictures since I sent them the same photos. I work for the same shipper at the end of the week, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. It happened when I was working for them. And there was no damage until Friday/Saturday. I noticed the damage in the mirror while driving since there is a big bulge and the crack on the outside of the trailer. I would notice it earlier since I walked around the trailer waiting to be unloaded. It's too big not to notice.
    I was loaded in the daytime. I was unloaded around 3am.
     
  10. Beaver9

    Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

    966
    1,184
    Jun 15, 2020
    0
    I'm thinking about installing cameras. If you have cameras, what kind do you have inside your reefer? What kind on the outside?

    I'm going to invest and install it.
     
  11. Midwest Trucker

    Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

    5,919
    21,420
    Aug 31, 2018
    0
    #### that must be pretty bad if you can see it from the outside. :\
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.