i suggest you guys do a google search for either ;
Commer Knocker,
or TS3
A very popular truck engine here back in the 50's - early '70s.
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/two-stroke-thursday-1711289793
![]()
Opposed piston heavy duty Diesel engine?
Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by iceman32, Sep 27, 2018.
Page 3 of 6
-
-
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
-
Right. I was thinking of regular gas two strokes. Only exhaust valves though.Oldironfan Thanks this.
-
The 2 stroke Detroit's had valves, cams,rockers, and Jake's. I may be wrong.
Edit.
I guess I replied to fast.
I have wondered about hybrid setups like a train. Using the engine to power the generator only. A modern locomotive can move 1 ton of freight 100 miles on 1 gallon of diesel.
Maybe that's why they are so cheap that they are hired to put van trailers on rail.
Also I've thought about electric engines on each wheel, or axle. I think it would be heavy though and would require massive juice. I have been in paper mills and the average size electric motor I've observed is 200 hp. They are nearly the size of a allison 1000 transmission, but minus the tail shaft.Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
x1Heavy Thanks this. -
You would have to consider the size of the traction motors needed to drive the vehicle like a American Engine on a modern train does. Then you have to consider how to cool it. All of that adds weight. Im not sure if you can generate the required electricty which itself will be a problem. If it was at all possible we would have done it long ago.
Now bring in rare earth metals and combination of military powerplants capable of generating power and be portable maybe that will be a possibly into the future.
A SD-70AC pair will generate a little over 10,000 horsepower and weigh about half a million each. Hook up a 14000 ton train with enough fuel for a thousand miles in 16 hours roughly which is what their working day is and not one minute longer. (They use dog catching vans to run the crews to and from trains wherever they sit)
As awesome as this lashup is, consider the river barging. You can potentially have 15 barges upriver or down with enough to fill 70 trains roughly.
We will have to increase gross weights to around 120K over 100 feet and add axles. That might increase the revenue enough to offset the greater tare weights involved in such a heavy class 8 tractor.Oldironfan Thanks this. -
I was looking at another design. Instead of a perpendicular or parallel piston, we have yet to create a circular cylinder with ball bearings for diesel trucks.
Nuclear engines in submarines have this design. It’s been proven that circular perpetual motion does provide free energy and only friction can stop it. This is why nuclear submarines can go 10 years without refueling.
For pulling power, well the booster engine for them space rockets have opposite twisting cylinders. I’m no scientist but the amount of gravity that is pushed to get to space would be around 1 million pounds.Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this. -
-
You are referring to a German Diesel Design from I think Wrenkel (Spelling)
Mazda has such a rotary engine in gasoline form in one of their high end sports cars. The big problem is the necessary sealing of each of the three chambers formed by the central rotating forging.
I believe we can do it but again no one has done it for Class 8 trucks yet.iceman32 and Oldironfan Thank this. -
I recall reading a diesel truck magazine some years ago and came across an article about a camless engine. From what I remember these guys took an existing diesel engine, removed the cam and installed electronic actuators on the valves.
jamespmack, Oxbow, iceman32 and 2 others Thank this. -
I read that same article.
Electronics were beginning to become powerful and fast enough under computer control to do many things previously poaching horses off a diesel.
Now if we can get up to trucks capable of running the speed limit at interstate situations and increase to a minimum of 1800 torque and 800 horses things should improve to where we can add axles and haul higher gross at a bigger profit.
Some people don't understand just how light 80000 has become against tractors that have literally gained tare weight since the 2001 days I ran in. I think my century was not much more than 16K and here we are dealing with only 45000 piddling pounds into a reefer. In my time we loaded close to 49K in the box where possible.iceman32, Oldironfan and AModelCat Thank this. -
If I recall the electric motor that unloaded our Bulk Tanker in Little Rock, we are dealing with almost 400 horses in about that size shaft. The incoming power though to me I think was a pair of 440 volters at god only knows how many amps.
When you step up into big traction motors driving a 110K subway metro DC railcar, you have 4 motors. Driven by 600 to 700 volts DC at a amount of amps capable of turning anyone to charcoal instantly.iceman32 and Oldironfan Thank this.
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
Page 3 of 6