im just wondering if driving a flatbed wrecker would be considered a commercial motor vehicle ? I drove one for years but all we used it for was delivering portable storage buildings we didn't haul cars on it but I didn't need cdl's and it didn't have air brakes on it I did have to have a medical card tho but got to thinking about the 10 year work history company's ask for anyone who has driven before I called my ex boss and asked him and he said he didn't know of course he didn't know we needed a med card to drive it either until the dot told him but that happen about 8 or 9 years ago
is a flatbed wrecker consider a commercial motor vehicle
Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by silverdrifter, Jan 20, 2014.
Page 1 of 3
-
-
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
-
any vehicle with commercial plates is considered a commercial vehicle
-
not meaning to sound stupid but what do u mean by commercial plates if your talking about a tag I rem the tag on it looking just like a normal Georgia tag that just had the county where the main office was it didn't say commercial on it
-
If its used for a business then it's a commercial vehicle no matter what you're putting on the bed.
-
Try www.dps.georgia.gov should have that info on the website
-
If you're talking about for CDL requirements, it's the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating you need to consider. If it's 26,000 lbs. GVWR or less, you only need a CDL if it's either hauling a quantity of hazardous materials which needs placards, or if it's a commercial bus designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the driver).
With single axle vehicles, this can be ambiguous... I know in North Carolina, the F750s we had at Debris Removal had a manufacturer's GVWR of 31,000 and change, which would require a CDL, but it was plated as a 26,000 GVW vehicle... by itself, it didn't require a CDL, although it did when we had it hooked to a 16,000 GVW trailer we used to haul the loader with.
Check the vehicle registration... what GVW it's plated as will indicate if it needs a CDL or not. But, as it's used for commercial purposes, it is a commercial vehicle. If I remember correctly, any commercial use vehicle over 10,000 GVWR requires a medical card if it's being used for interstate purposes.
The brake system has absolutely no determination on what kind of license that vehicle needs, be it air brakes, air over hydraulic, or hydraulic. IMO, there should be an air brake endorsement, but there isn't... it's just that, if you don't take and pass the written air brakes test and perform your road test in a vehicle so equipped, then you get a restriction on a CDL which prohibits you from operating a CMV (vehicle requiring a CDL) which is equipped with air brakes. -
what I am saying is from 03 until 09 i was laid off the rehired in 2010 to 2013 I worked for this business that sold storage buildings we delivered them on a flatbed wrecker we didn't have to have cdl's to drive it but we had to have a medical card now im in school to get my cdl's and applications for company's they ask for the last 10 yrs work history if u drove a cmv or just the last 3 years work history if u did not drive a cmv so which would I fall under the 10 years work history or the 3 year work history
-
now I not trying to hide anything at all because i don't have anything to hide and i want to fill out the applications correct but on some of the applications I have looked im not really sure what some things mean or why it is even on there I understand them asking if u had any tickets the next question they ask is do u have any preventable tickets in the last so and so years well isn't all tickets preventable lol or the work history thing I drove it was a wrecker didn't have a cdl but im not sure if it was considered a cmv or not and im not meaning to be dumb about it guess I will just wait to hear something from the places I already applied and just go from there
-
Did the truck have DOT number on the side?
-
don't know why you want to wreck a flatbed I think that would be classified as scrap salvage, rather than a commercial vehical
Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds
Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.
Page 1 of 3