freightliner auto trans questions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by BLUE GHOST, Mar 31, 2012.

  1. BLUE GHOST

    BLUE GHOST Bobtail Member

    2
    0
    Mar 31, 2012
    0
    anyone out there have any experience with the new freightliner with an automatic transmission. the one we are driving has a horrible delay in reverse. we have to rev up to get the thing to go into reverse. it is impossible to ease back into anything. anyone else have this experience? thanks
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Pablo-UA

    Pablo-UA Road Train Member

    7,604
    1,643
    Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    0
    any clutch problems? any wierd sound when R engages?
     
  4. BLUE GHOST

    BLUE GHOST Bobtail Member

    2
    0
    Mar 31, 2012
    0
    it is a fairly new truck 92,000 miles no noises - other than me cussing. going forward it is great other than the hesitation when pulling out from a red light. that i can live with the people behind me maybe not but at least it goes.
     
  5. Pablo-UA

    Pablo-UA Road Train Member

    7,604
    1,643
    Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    0
    if you sugest hard reverse engagment, try this:

    remove X-Y motors from tranny and try to shift into reverce with prybar. You can feel is it difficult ore not, try the same with engine running (ask someone depress clutch and hold). if really dificult, remove tranny cover and inspect, if all are ok, try to shift with hands)))) of course with engine off...
     
  6. country29

    country29 Medium Load Member

    518
    157
    Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    0
    i work for a fleet that has a bunch of 2011 cascadias that have autoshifts, they all do it, have to rev up to get going in any gear, common problem, maybe thats why they went back to manuals, thank God!
     
  7. striker

    striker Road Train Member

    6,023
    6,442
    Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    0
    is this an autoshift or a push button auto? if it's an autoshift, that is not normal and needs checked. if it's the push button auto, the two I have driven but have a delay before going into reverse, but didn't require the engine to be revved. Regardless I would have it checked out.
     
  8. Pablo-UA

    Pablo-UA Road Train Member

    7,604
    1,643
    Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    0
    well, Striker is right, lets identify tranny forsdt. The Id sticker is hidden with dashpanel under fuse box
     
  9. Manfrmbklyn23

    Manfrmbklyn23 Bobtail Member

    28
    2
    Mar 2, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    0
    I drive a 2012 frieghtliner ultra shift no clutch pedal. I love not shifting gears anymore. Up until last week I had no issues other than the lag that sometimes happens when shifting from neutral to R or D, not sure why but it doesn't recognize the gear and stays stuck in nuetral. I put it back in N, wait a second and then it goes right into gear. Last week on rt 93 in hazelton PA I was climbing a 2 1/2 mile steep hill, I was crawling up the hill in 6th gear (manually) as I got to the crest the truck felt like it came out of gear and wouldn't move anymore. I could smell what I thought to be a burnt up clutch. Waited about 20 min and restarted the truck, put it in gear and it would move but with loud grinding noises from the trani or clutch. Towed to the dealer and I haven't heard back yet. By the way, the load was very very very heavy well over 50,000 lbs.
     
  10. ytruck

    ytruck Bobtail Member

    2
    1
    Nov 18, 2016
    0
    Tengo un Freightliner Cascadia 2011 y La tracción chilla PARECIDO Como Cuando Se jode el turbo , el coche es nuevo que podría ser ese ruido
     
  11. Pablo-UA

    Pablo-UA Road Train Member

    7,604
    1,643
    Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    0
    Post new thread about this, this is transmission problem thread, do not hijack it.

    seems to me this is XY motors problem, but.... transmission has not so many miles... usually XY shifter is worn at 500 k on odo
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.