Any info on a good school in Broward county Florida?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Data, Mar 28, 2016.

  1. Data

    Data Bobtail Member

    30
    19
    Mar 9, 2016
    SFL USA
    0
    After falling flat on my face from my high horse, when I found out that my 35 year old CDL and half a million miles in OTR wasn't worth anything, because I didn't use it in over 25 years, I started from scratch and need info on the practical part.
    I now have a new temp driving permit class A with N and T endorsements, good for 180 days.
    I also did the DOT medical and will do Hazmat before I finish the practical part.
    I found Sheridan Technical college, which offers a 320 hour course. They are all booked out until the second week of June, though. If I can't find anything similar sooner, I will wait till June.

    I can't seem to find any other school like this, maybe someone knows one just like it, or has other suggestions.
    No, I won't enroll to something like Swift or any OTR for that matter. Must be local and preferably a 160 or 320 hour class. Any ideas?
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. MidWest_MacDaddy

    MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

    11,427
    19,558
    Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    0
    Good Call... :)
     
  4. sprayed150

    sprayed150 Light Load Member

    137
    121
    Jun 1, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    0
    I went to sheridan tech west campus. 320 hr program either day classes or night
     
  5. Data

    Data Bobtail Member

    30
    19
    Mar 9, 2016
    SFL USA
    0
    OK, did some more calling this morning.
    I'm amazed what kind of shady businesses there are. Some of them don't even want to give you any information over the phone, others guaranty a pass in one day, no matter how many times you need to be tested.

    I'd really like to find a 160hr class, but that doesn't seem to exist.
    I can only find 2 colleges that offer the 320hr courses and both cost about $2000, but are booked until June.
    then there are:
    CDL Technical in Hialeah Gardens offers a 20hr for $1000 and a 40hr for $2000 the person on the phone seemed nice and gave good info.

    Metropolitan offers an 18hr for $800, they guarantee passing and were very pushy on the phone (really wanted me to sign up right now).

    Key Power CDL offers a 20hr for $1200. it took about 10 calls to get someone on the phone (they never called back so I kept on calling). I really had to pull every bit of information out of the persons nose. He seemed very uninterested on getting my business.

    And the rest that I found didn't either speak English and/or had scam written all over them.

    Now what? I really want to get my license, do I need to wait all the way until June, or does anyone have any other suggestions?
     
  6. No names left

    No names left Light Load Member

    225
    85
    Dec 17, 2015
    0
    Data, I'll paste the names of some schools out of a list I found for the entire country. I have no idea where some of these schools are so just search by name to see if they are local. I know some of them are not in Broward but I pasting all of them anyway.
    Mid - Florida Tech FL Orlando, FL 407-354-4761
    National Training Inc FL Orange Park, FL 904-272-4000 ext 231
    NBI Truck Driver Training FL Winterhaven, FL 863-294-1112
    Pinellas Techincal Education Centers (PTEG) FL St Petersburg, FL 727-893-2500 ext 2553
    Sage / Indian River State College FL Ft Peirce, FL 866-832-7243
    South Florida State College FL Avon Park, FL 863-381-2715
    Suncoast Trucking Academy FL Punta Gorda, FL 941-347-7445
    TDI FL Milton & Sanford, FL 615-895-2070
    TDI FL Sanford, FL 407-328-8000
    The CDL School FL Miami, FL

    The Sage in Ft Pierce is 160 hours and I think $5,800.
     
  7. No names left

    No names left Light Load Member

    225
    85
    Dec 17, 2015
    0
    Also, you might want to check out Comcar Industries to see if they'll help you out. They are headquartered in Auburndale which I know is not in Broward, but they might have something to offer in the way of training. Chinatown recommends one of their subsidiaries often, CTL Transportation.

    http://www.comcar.com/careersatcomcar.html
     
  8. Data

    Data Bobtail Member

    30
    19
    Mar 9, 2016
    SFL USA
    0
    Thanks,
    I did find most of them before, but they are either too far away and/or way to expensive. I wouldn't pay $6000 for a 160hr class up north, if I can get a 320hr class for $2000 locally. I'd rather wait till June in that case.
     
  9. MidWest_MacDaddy

    MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

    11,427
    19,558
    Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    0
    If you have a car, I would suggest checking into Sage CDL School ... It operates in conjunction with Indian River State College in Ft. Pierce, FL.

    They offer a 320 hour course (160 in school and 160 after you get a job... So it's really just a 160 hour) part in classroom and then lots of "1 on 1" hands on drive time on the driving range and out on the streets.

    And since it's working through a State School, you qualify for a Education Loan and don't need to make payments until six months after you graduate. So that gives you time to get settled into a driving job before making the loan payments.

    If you want to avoid the South Florida "Schools" then just head North.

    (But as a warning, Sage really "passively" pushes Warner and a few of the others Megas. Just know there are many more options out there without going to a Mega)

    Stay Safe,
    MD
     
  10. Data

    Data Bobtail Member

    30
    19
    Mar 9, 2016
    SFL USA
    0
    I know about Sage, they are too far north (it would be too much, to drive 2hr each way every day), I'd have to stay in a hotel during school and that would add quite a lot, in addition to the cost of $5000 that they charge for their 160hr class.
     
  11. sprayed150

    sprayed150 Light Load Member

    137
    121
    Jun 1, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    0
    Sheridan tech cdl a program was like 1900 for me last year
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.