Air Horn Not Working

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tmlonghorns, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tmlonghorns

tmlonghorns Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Gregory, MI
    Last week I puchased a 1989 International for use around my farm and own enjoyment. I noticed that the air horn does not seem to work correctly. When I pull the cord, I get a short quick blast that is not loud at all. Then, no matter how many times I pull the cord I get nothing.
    Knowing nothing about air horns, where should I start?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If the truck has been sitting for a while, the horn is probably filled up with monkey snot (white, goopy, oily residue from the air system). Keep pulling the cord and it may clear itself out.

4. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    First you want to make sure you have enough air pressure to the horn.Take the cover off of the control valve.This cover is the one that your air horn cord inserts into_Once inside you will see the control valve.Run the truck and build up air pressure.Disconnect the supply line to the control valve and see if there is adequate,constant pressure.If there is reconnect the line making sure to teflon the fitting.Check the control valve and other fittings for leaks.I use dish soap and water in a spray bottle.When checking for leaks make sure you check with the control valve open and closed.Cord down,cord up.Also check the linkage on the control valve where the cord attaches to.It may be bent to far down to supply air to the horn.Once you have determined that there are no leaks and good pressure to the valve check the lines and fittings at the horn.Take the supply line off the horn and have someone pull the cord,check the pressure at the horn.After you have determined that you have good pressure at the the horn and still no sound take the screws off of the rear of the horn and inspect the spring and diaphragm.Replace if needed.You will only need to replace the control valve if you do not get adequate constant air at horn itself.

5. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    the control valve might be gooped up. Remove and wash. The diaphragm assembly on the horn itself is pretty simple and may just have a little rust in it that can be cleaned with a green pad.

6. sparkytech72

sparkytech72 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2018
    my australian hino 8x4 truck's air seeems to confuse me its not working and although the fuse was ok?how do i fix this

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Probably a clog in the air line feeding it. Build full pressure and just keep pulling on it till she gives away.

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If you can hear air coming out of the horn itself, you need to take the horn apart and clean it. There is a diaphragm in the back that vibrates and that is what makes the sound you hear. It takes very little crud to mess up the diaphragm.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You need to get that fixed. Children all across the country are counting on you for that amusement.

Back when I was a teen and driving for newspapers it was snowing and coming up a freeway ready to merge and it was really coming down.. I was too afraid to slow down or speed up. Didn't know what to do being a noob to driving. Ended up merging on the freeway about 3 feet from a semi behind me. I ended up getting the friendly air horn salute for antics that morning. Only time a semi honked at me.

intrepidor Thanks this.
  10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If your air horn doesn’t work, you are still within the law, as long as your electric horn works. All the law says is that you must have a horn.

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Dude, who cares about the law. He’s in a semi the air horn MUST work. Little horn is no fun.

mudking289, TravR1 and austinmike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.