Air compressor oil leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rube2112, Aug 14, 2018.

  1. Rube2112

    Rube2112 Bobtail Member

    2
    1
    Aug 14, 2018
    0
    I've got a problem with my truck compressor. It's leaking oil out of the front compressor seal, but the strange part is that it doesn't do it all the time. When it does it it's pretty bad. I've been told that there may not be anything wrong with the front seal, it could be caused by something else. It's a tu-flo 550 on a t444e. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Robb
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Goodysnap

    Goodysnap Road Train Member

    3,816
    9,304
    Jul 12, 2017
    0
    This is a belt driven compressor, correct? My first thought would be to make sure the oil return from the compressor to the engine is not kinked or blocked. This could cause the oil to back up inside the compressor and cause leakage from places that may be intermittent based on operating conditions.

    It's just a mini crankcase, either the seal is bad or oil is being forced by it from pressure. Any oil in the tanks?
     
  4. Rube2112

    Rube2112 Bobtail Member

    2
    1
    Aug 14, 2018
    0
    Yes belt driven. No oil in the tanks that I've noticed. I'm going to order a pump tomorrow. I think that's the wise thing to do. When I get in the job, I'll check the lines. Thanks for the reply
     
    Goodysnap Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.