58" Midroof for OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheDudeAbides, Jun 12, 2016.

  1. snowwy

    snowwy Road Train Member

    20,646
    13,373
    Jul 6, 2009
    0
    Considering you all have to live in them trucks. Who wants to live in a 3 foot deep coffin? Packing the minimal necessities.

    Now, i can see the newbies pulling vans and not having a care in the world but going home. But, when i pulled flatbed, I needed all the space i could have for equipment and tools and food and what not. And i was home every weekend.
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Ezrider_48501

    Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

    3,844
    5,135
    Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    0
    smaller bunks are easier to heat and cool. i used to spend a lot of time in a 42" flat top. 52" mid roof shouldn't be too bad. i prefer a mid roof. of course i don't haul van or refer.
     
    Dieselwrangler and TheDudeAbides Thank this.
  4. Hurst

    Hurst Registered Member

    6,618
    12,266
    Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    0

    That how it is in my Columbia with Condo. Stand up and you feel the sun blazing on the front of the roof. Anything above the top bunk seems to trap the heat in the area.

    My 386 had a 65" stand up sleeper. No top bunk,.. just cabinets. That sleeper did not seem to suffer from the same problems with heat from the roof. I'm of the opinion it was insulated much better that my Columbia,.. if my Columbia even has any insulation in the roof. I often wonder.

    Hurst
     
    TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

    Hurst Registered Member

    6,618
    12,266
    Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    0
    Thats pretty much how I am. Seems every time I leave home I accumulate more 'stuff' for the road. I used to leave with 2 duffle bags, pair of boots and a pair of sneaker. Now I leave with 3 duffle bags full of cloths plus what ever is still in the truck. A day bag with all my shower supplies. I've got 2 totes under the bunk full of tools plus a 3rd tote full of assorted coolant hoses, air lines, compression couplings, gorilla tape, gorilla glue, emergency rescue tape, tubes of silicon, spare wiper blades, spare belts, tire plug kits, spare bulbs and fuses. I've got probably $100 in work gloves under their as well.

    Top bunk is just a storage space now as well. Mattress is in the shed. I keep cases of water bottles, soda, and other assorted 'stuff' up there along with my window AC, space heater, spare 4" straps and probably 8 - 10 new 2" ratchet straps I havent used yet.

    I spent last summer in a Coronado SD with the 54" mid roof sleeper. It wasnt as bad as you think it would be coming from a 70" condo. Not saying I didnt miss the room I had in my Condo,.. but it was 'livable' in the smaller sleeper.

    [​IMG]

    If given the choice,.. I would take the larger sleeper, just to have the roof for all my 'stuff'.

    Hurst
     
    TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  6. MrEd

    MrEd Road Train Member

    2,196
    2,836
    Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    0
    There are a lot of people who ride around in 61" Volvos. It works if you are organized and clean.
     
    TheDudeAbides Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

    snowwy Road Train Member

    20,646
    13,373
    Jul 6, 2009
    0
    The extra roof is nicento have..but man, thrm full sized condos sure suck in the wind.
     
  8. Roberts450

    Roberts450 Road Train Member

    2,237
    3,638
    Feb 6, 2016
    0
    Somebody say coffin sleeper??? Im run regional here in the northwest so 2-2500 miles a week in this 386 with a 36" flattop. Im not a small guy ether at 6'4". Looking at buying my own truck tho. Pete 388 with the 70" and stretched with a drop and running with our maxi flatbed fleet.
     

    Attached Files:

    Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  9. Dark_Majesty_06

    Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

    1,072
    332
    Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    0
    Coffin sleeper you say? Here's what I'll be getting into next month. There's a bed and drivers seat.. that's the jist of my new truck. Plus I have to stay in it for 5 days a week... aaaannnnddd I'm 6'3" and super fat.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. Roberts450

    Roberts450 Road Train Member

    2,237
    3,638
    Feb 6, 2016
    0
    Thats the same thing I got. You wont fall outa the bunk and you have to lay down to put pants on. Lmao.
     
    Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  11. TheDudeAbides

    TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

    374
    455
    Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    0
    So I guess what we're trying to say here is that it isn't the length, it's how you use it? That's what I've been preaching all along! Lol
     
    Roberts450 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.