Got my Diabetic Exemption!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by herbiemin, Aug 6, 2015.

1. herbiemin

herbiemin Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    So I applied for a diabetic exemption back in June. I printed out the exemption form here, http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/medical/driver-medical-requirements/diabetes-exemption-application

After my endocrinologist filled out the paperwork, I went and got an eye exam and had the optometrist fill out her paperwork. Both doctors had to provide letterheads with their name, location, and doctor certification numbers included. Then had to get a DOT physical and a medical card. Also required were copies of my current driver license (front and back), a copy of my med card, driving report, (wrecks, speeding tickets, etc). I thought that I had to send a certified check also, but I believe that was for my driving record. The driving record HAS to be an official copy from the state with their letterhead and official stamp/seal. All instructions are included in the exemption packet that you print out.

After all paperwork is submitted, it will be reviewed. If anything is incorrect or missing, it will be sent back to you to be corrected. ( I had to get an updated letterhead from the optometrist). Afterwards, if everything is correct, it is reviewed again. If you qualify your name will be published in the Federal Register twice. My name was published on June 22, 2015. https://www.federalregister.gov/art...exemption-applications-diabetes-mellitus#h-35 I did receive a notice stating that my name had been published.

I received my Exemption on August 4, 2015. It states that it was approved on July 23, 2015. Along with seeing my endocrinologist every 3 months, (FMCSA is very tight on this), I am required to get a new physical every year, (instead of every 2 years), and also get an eye exam every year.

Today, August 5, 2015, I took my Federal waiver, Social Security card, birth certificate, medical card, and current driver license to the closest (to me) CDL office, located in Cullman, AL. The examiner had never had to do a waiver/exemption before, so it took a little time to get everything figured out, but everything was figured out, I took and passed all written tests, and received my CDL Class A learners permit, along with doubles/triples, tanker, and of course combination and air brakes. Now I am required to wait a minimum of 14 days until I can take my road test. (this is now a federal requirement I believe)

Note: I am NOT going to a driving school. I am doing this on my own. HOWEVER, I have been driving for almost 5 years now, but it has all been farm related, and did not require a CDL. I will be road testing at the local tech school, Marshall Technical School, Guntersville, AL, renting a truck from them. The one day pre-assessment costs $125, and truck rental for the complete skills test is $350.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me. I probably will not moniter this thread very closely, but am usually getting my TTR fix every evening. Have a wonderful day, drive safe, and keep the shiny side up!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm curious as to which company you go to. A&R Logistics is about the best in your area; they're in Decatur. Make about $62K - $72K per year and home weekends. Don't know if they will recognize your farm related driving as experience or not.
    Keep us posted on the New Drivers thread.

Evergreen Transport has a terminal in Leeds and several other towns in AL. They do a lot of agricultural trucking; flatbed, dry bulk tanker, dump, and other stuff. They run Southeast and Texas and have a terminal in Texas. Check the website if your interested.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. herbiemin

Dec 20, 2014
    Well that will be something that is not a push until at least the first of next year. I farm with my dad so will be busy with harvest until late November probably. We do have a friend that runs his own trucking company and also dispatches for some O/Os. As of the first of this year he was willing to take us on if we bought our own truck. But that is way ahead of our game plan as of right now

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Reason for edit: cut off post
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Congratulations!! Best of luck with your cdl and your diabetes. Hopefully one day they find a cure..:):)

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I have type 2 and wear glasses and just getting another pair as my sight has gotten worse. I wear prescription sun glasses and glasses. I don't use contact bc i refuse to stick anything in my eyes. I get dot physical every year.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Are you a type one diabetic taking insulin shots ? I am thinking type 2 on pills don't need a diabetes exemption. Just curious ???

8. herbiemin

Dec 20, 2014
    That is correct. Type 1 on insulin...

9. herbiemin

Dec 20, 2014
    Passed my CDL road test today, August 26, 2015. I am leaving in 3 days to drive truck during harvest for some friends for a month or two. It will be my 5th year in a row doing so, up until now I have not needed a CDL because it was all farm related. Now working as a custom crew falls into a different category.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    wow I thought with insulin since it's that bad insulin would not pass on CDL but congrats

11. herbiemin

Dec 20, 2014
    Well that is the whole point of the waiver/exemption....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.